Pine Trees - Studying Form from Nature


Still not sure about best way to do the needles. Of course you can't be too fiddly, because it takes so long, but I want to find a way to get closer to how this particular tree's needles hang. Oh yes, so many flies kept landing on my paper. I was so frustrated, that I thought OK, I'll draw them. Then when I started to want to draw them, they suddenly went! Actually, they seemed to be attracted to the bright white paper when the sun went in.
I was trying to work out a basic structure. I was looking at a dead pine tree to learn more about the basic form. I'm starting to see how the trunk and the branches grow. I was reading the Mustard Seed Manual and I can understand why they mention a contorting dragon. It is really nice to start to enter into that feeling of movement.

Like lightning.

Comments