Field Poppies - Watercolour


Comments

Lara Kay said…
Love the poppies! A copy for your favourite sister perhaps? Keep up the work its looking good! Glad to see you painting again!
Rita said…
The top set--you can see your practice came to fruition! Nice!! :)
illykay said…
Actually, that was the first set Rita!! It's difficult to see in the copy, but I was trying to paint the shadow & different warmth's of red.I don't have enough experience of watercolour to really know how to do this, so I was getting into more and more trouble. The first set I could do everything in one brushstroke, but I struggled to find a way of creating tone, etc. with the same spontaneity. Well I heard once that red is not an easy colour to mix. I was using an alizarian crimson mixed with cad. yellow, because I didn't have a cadmium red in my bag. I experimented with mixing directly with cobalt blue and layering it with cobalt blue underneath. I got into a right muddle and am a little scared to pick up my watercolours again!! I like the first set too, because I felt that I could better describe the form of the poppies with each brushstroke. Oh, how can such a simple, beautiful flower create such a big mess in my head!!